Please choose one of the following options

Banner Permit
A Banner Permit is required to install a banner spanning over a Regional road.
Film Location Permit
Film location approval is required for any activity on Regional roads which would include traffic stoppages, traveling shots, lane or road closures.

Any organization/person planning a filming event on a Regional road must first obtain proper approval from Durham Region and from Durham Regional Police. Please contact Durham Region Film Office at 905-668-4113 ext.2617

For Non Regional roads please contact the appropriate Municipality:

Town of Ajax – 905-619-2529 ext 3231
Township of Brock – 705-432-2355
Municipality of Clarington – 905-623-3379 ext 2251
City of Oshawa – 905-436-5617
City of Pickering – 905-420-4660 ext 2050
Township of Scugog – 905-985-7346 ext 132
Township of Uxbridge – 905-852-9181 ext 202
Town of Whitby – 905-430-4300 ext 2315

Durham Regional Police Service – 905-579-1520 ext 4352
Municipal Consent
Municipal Consent approval gives utility providers permission to install or move utility infrastructure within the Region's right-of-way. Municipal Consent grants approval for the location of the plant within the right-of-way.A Road Occupancy Permit is also required to undertake the work.

Municipal Consents will only be granted to:
-Utility companies
-Private applications (who have a Municipal Access Agreement with the Region of Durham)

Our Works Department's application drawing requirements must be followed when submitting an application.

Separate applications are required for projects that involve work at more than one location.

Please apply at least 60 days before the planned start of the work. The official application date is the date that the Region of Durham receives the application. Approval is valid for six months. If the work is not constructed within six months of approval, it must be re-submitted. A Municipal Consent fee of $600 plus HST per application will be invoiced after approval.

This permit type requires you to have an account and logged in.

Log in
Oversize/Overweight Load Permit
This permit is required for commercial vehicles to carry a load larger or heavier than the maximum limits established in the Highway Traffic Act. Approval is only given for roads under the jurisdiction of Durham Region; depending on the route, permits may also be required from the Ministry of Transportation and the local municipalities. For a more detailed list of requirements and conditions, please refer to the MTO “Guide to Oversize/Overweight Vehicles and Loads in Ontario”, which can be found here:

Oversize Loads
Oversize loads are:
• Wider than 2.6 m
• Higher than 4.15 m
• Longer than 23 m

Oversize loads may need an escort as a condition of the permit. The permit holder is responsible for organizing and paying for the escort. An oversize load needs:

A private escort (1 or 2) if it is:
• Between 36.76 m and 45.75 m long
• Between 4.00m and 4.99 m wide
• Higher than 4.6 m – also requires consultation and route confirmation with Durham Region Traffic Signal Operations

A police escort if it is:
• Longer than 45.75 m
• Wider than 5.00 m

For a police escort contact the Durham Regional Police Service Pay Duty Clerk:
Phone: 905-579-1520 ext. 4352

Overweight Loads
A weight distribution diagram must be submitted with the application if the weight is greater than the allowable weights indicated in the Highway Traffic Act.

You will need to provide the following information and documents:

Description of Route
Identify the specific roads that are being travelled on the application form as well as the origin and destination points.

Load Restricted Roads
Vehicle weight is limited to five tonnes per axle on some sections of Durham Region roads. This may apply only during the typical March-April load restriction season, or all year. Check the list of roads with weight restrictions. A load exemption letter is required for the use of the restricted roads on the list.

Application Timeline
Applications should be submitted a minimum of ten (10) business days prior to the anticipated transport date.

Time Restrictions
Due to size, some loads will have time restrictions attached to a avoid interfering with peak traffic times. These restrictions will be indicated on your permit.

Insurance Coverage
A valid certificate of insurance is needed for the duration of the time the permitted activity is taking place on the road allowance. All certificates must be completed by the insurance broker or insurer on the Region’s form.
All Applicants coverage must include:
• $5 million limit Commercial General Liability (CGL)
• $2 million Non-Owned Automobile Liability
• $5 million Automobile Liability for vehicles registered to the organization

The following fees apply:
• Annual permit - $150 per year
• Single trip permit - $100 per trip
• Project permit (multiple loads along the same route) - $200
Payment options include VISA, MasterCard or certified cheque made payable to The Regional Municipality of Durham. Region staff will contact you by telephone to confirm credit card details

Security Deposit
Some permits will require a security deposit. The amount of the security deposit depends on which roads are being used. It must be enough to cover the cost of repairing or replacing the road. The minimum security deposit is $1,000.
Payment options include VISA, MasterCard or certified cheque made payable to The Regional Municipality of Durham. Region staff will contact you by telephone to confirm credit card details
Apply Highway Traffic Act
Road Occupancy Permit
A Road Occupancy Permit is required for work within any portion of the public right-of- way (the road, boulevard, shoulders and sidewalk), whether the work requires a closure or lane restrictions or not. The Works Department is responsible for issuing permits for any work done on Regional roads. Please go to the following URL to get a listing of Region Roads:
Work that impacts a sidewalk or multi-use path may also require a permit from the local municipality. There is no fee for a Regional Road Occupancy Permit.

Examples of work that requires a Road Occupancy Permit includes:
• excavation of the boulevard for utility installation or maintenance
• any work that involves crossing the boulevard, such as landscaping or installing pools
• road widening projects
• installation of storm sewers, sanitary sewers and watermains for site development
• geotechnical investigations and monitoring
• crane setup (including arc swing over the Region’s right-of-way)
• placement of disposal bins
• entrance construction or removal

During road occupancy, Regional staff performs regular inspections of the work to ensure:
• efficient traffic flow on the road during the work
• safety is maintained on the roads, boulevards and sidewalks
• the right-of-way is kept clean and free of construction materials and equipment
• applicants comply with Regional standards, permit conditions and approved locations
• applicants restore the right-of-way to its original state within a reasonable time
• all work is documented for future use

Application Timeline:
Applications should be submitted a minimum of five (5) business days prior to the requested occupancy date.

Locates Requirement:
Applicant shall have received all locates prior to applying for a Road Occupancy Permit.
Special Event Permit
A Special Event permit is required for anyone wanting to hold a parade/procession, festival, bike or walk-a-thon, or any similar event that requires a lane or road closure or may interfere with the normal flow of traffic on a Regional road.

Any organization/person planning a special event on a Regional road must first obtain proper approval from the Municipality(ies) involved and from Durham Regional Police.

Town of Ajax – 905-683-4550
Township of Brock – 705-432-2355
Municipality of Clarington – 905-623-3379
City of Oshawa – 905-436-3311
City of Pickering – 905-420-2222
Township of Scugog – 905-985-7346
Township of Uxbridge – 905-852-9181
Town of Whitby – 905-668-5803

Durham Regional Police Service – 905-579-1520